Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Roasted Tomato Soup – Comfort on a dreary day




I live in a dark and dreary state…. well, at least during much of winter months. I guess I wouldn’t mind it so much if there was snow, but lately, we don’t even get much of that….just those dark, heavy clouds  hanging low in the sky that threaten to produce the dreaded white stuff. I know the sun is shining up above the clouds and that just seems so unfair! What about my vitamin D requirement?!


This comes straight from Liv Life Blog with just a few modifications. I recommend it to you on a dark and dreary day.... the soup, not the other blog... although the blog isn't bad either! 

Here’s what you need:
1 lb roma tomatoes (or more)
2 T olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 large onion
4 cloves of garlic
Pinch of crushed red pepper
¼ t dried thyme (a mini-secret ingredient)
1 28 ounce can of tomato puree (or diced tomatoes)
1 ½ C chopped fresh basil (don’t skimp here….sticker shock…but summer is right around the corner and the garden will be overflowing with basil)
3 C veggie broth (or chicken broth or some water or a combo of all….we do all veggie and it’s perfect)



Here’s what you do:
Slice the romas in half and massage them in the oil. Sprinkle with salt and peppr.  Roast them at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, turning them over at the half way point.



Meantime, chop and sautee the onions and garlic till soft but not brown. Use low heat. Add the red pepper, thyme, canned puree,  basil and broth. Simmer. When the romas are done, remove their skins and seeds and add them to the pot. Simmer more, adding more broth if desired. Use an immersion blender or other blender to puree the soup. 



4 comments:

  1. This looks so good! We have had far too many grey wet days here all through Christmas... really hoping for a good Summer this year! Happy New Year Tracy:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love homemade tomato soup, especially with lots of basil! It's so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good I can almost taste it. I've been craving tomato soup for weeks. Time to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love tomato soup, and this looks amazing! I always cheat and used canned tomatoes, but I'm sure this is way better :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!