Thursday, January 3, 2013

Turkey Tetrazzini – Party Classic

My Christmas dinner.... not the best photo, but a darn good meal!


You can NEVER go wrong with a huge, cheesy, delicious, make-ahead, crowd pleasin’ casserole. And the leftovers are the BEST!

This recipe is from the ancient days of my cooking, passed down from my mom and her friends. It’s very classy and totally party worthy.  It freezes great and reheats perfectly.

Caution: this make a lot!



Here’s what you need:
Lots of cooked turkey  - leftover turkey breast from Thanksgiving is perfect for this dish. (you could use chicken breast in place of the turkey)
½ lb spaghetti, broken into thirds
¼ lb butter
2 green peppers, sliced
4 T flour
2 C whole milk
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
8 oz cans sliced mushrooms or more to taste, or fresh mushrooms if desired
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 t Worcestershire  sauce (or more to taste)
2 small jars pimentos
½ C dry white wine
¾ C grated Parmesan cheese
4 C grated cheddar cheese
½ C shaved almonds



Here’s what you do:
Cook the turkey. (Sometimes, I cook a half turkey breast in the crock pot. This meat is perfect for this casserole) Cut meat in large bite size pieces. Place in a large mixing bowl.  Cook spaghetti and add to the big bowl.  Sautee peppers and mushrooms. Add flour and cook for a few minutes. Add milk and remaining ingredients except for ½ C cheddar and almonds.  


Cook till thick. Pour sauce over turkey and spaghetti and mix well. Pour into a greased casserole. Sprinkle remaining cheddar and almonds over the top of the casserole. Bake till bubbly. You can also wrap the casserole well and freeze it. 















3 comments:

  1. Looks awesome, Tracy. Goes along perfectly with my comfort food cravings this time of year. And I have tons of leftover turkey in the freezer. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually never had this dish, but it looks great! I bet it would be great with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. I should remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was the best meal ever!! What a great Christmas!! Love you, Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!